Library Summer Hours
Monday – Thursday: 10 AM to 8 PM | Friday – Saturday: 10 AM to 5 PM | Sunday: 1 PM to 5 PM
We are located off of Beaver Grade Road in the Cherrington Office Complex.
Our Mission & History
The Moon Township Public Library strives to provide free access to materials and programs appropriate for all ages that meet the educational, informational, technological, and recreational needs of the community, thereby fostering the utilization of the library as a center of lifetime learning.
- Library service in the community consists of one county bookmobile visit per week.
- Citizens Action for Education (CAFE) forms a committee to investigate the need for better library service in the community.
Friends to Establish a Library for Moon and Crescent Townships (FELMAC) incorporates to address the need for improved library service.
- Moon Area School Board allots space for library service in two elementary schools – Allard and Hyde.
- FELMAC raises funds via bake sales and raffles.
- Volunteers, including 3 professional librarians, serve as library staff.
- Library opens 6-7 evening hours per week.
- FELMAC becomes the Friends of Moon Public Library.
- Library relocates to a 485-square-foot room in the Moon Township Municipal Building.
- Library relocates to the basement of the Public Safety Building, occupying a 1,400-square-foot room that features new shelving and wall-to-wall carpeting.
- The collection grows to include over 11,000 books.
- Moon Township Library goes public.
- Township Supervisors budget $1 per capita for library services.
- Board of Trustees is appointed to oversee library operations.
- The collection expands to include more than 25,000 books.
- The staff increases to 10 paid employees.
- The Library schedule of operations expands to 30 hours per week.
- New programs are added for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-aged children
The Library moves to its present location in the Moon Community Service Center with new facility features including a tutoring room, children’s storytime and craft rooms. Friends of Moon Public Library provide funds for new shelving, furniture, and computers.
Allegheny Regional Asset District funds are used to hire 2 new employees and expand the operating schedule to 54 hours per week over 6 days.
Library joins the new county-wide electronic network (eiNetwork).
- The Library expands services to include computer instruction and book discussion groups.
- The collection expands by approximately 2,000 books per year.
- Materials in additional formats are added to the collection including music CDs, videocassettes, books on audiocassette, books on CD, and DVDs.
- The Library begins opening on Sunday afternoons during the school year.
- A teen librarian is added to the staff.
Our rules and guidelines for patrons.
Meet our employees, board members, and Friends of the Library.