Volunteer at Moon
Volunteers are a big part of what makes Moon Township Public Library wonderful. We have volunteers who clean, make repairs, prepare books for circulation, and even teach classes. If you’re a fan of the library and want to give back, a proud Moon Township resident looking to contribute to your community, or considering joining the library, nonprofit, or education career fields, this is a place to get involved.
Want to volunteer? Great! Apply here.
Work for Us
We currently do not have any positions open.
Donations, Honorariums & Memorials
Do you have extra books hanging around that you want to give to a good cause? Or would you like to make a gift in honor of someone’s birthday, graduation, or passing? We accept donated items or money in our Donations, Honorariums & Memorials programs.
Tax receipts are available.
- New or gently used fiction
- New or gently used nonfiction
- New or gently used young adult (teen) books from the last 15 years
- New or gently used picture books or board books
- Vintage books
- Unused workbooks or activity books like arithmetic practice or crossword puzzles
- Books about Moon Township, Pittsburgh, or Pennsylvania history
- Filthy, moldy, or damaged books
- Books containing personal or sensitive content such as diaries or finance records
- Books containing pornographic or highly violent visuals
- Used workbooks or activity books
- Medical, legal, or financial books from 3 years ago or older
- New or gently used DVDs or Blu-Rays
- New or gently used CDs
- New or gently used audiobooks
- New or gently used vinyl records
- Video games for Playstation 3 & 4, Wii & WiiU, XBOX 360 & XBOX One
- Filthy or damaged items
- Cassette or VHS tapes
- Video games for Mac, PC, or handheld devices
- Items containing personal or sensitive content such as diaries or finance records
- Pens, pencils, permanent markers, highlighters and dry erase markers
- Blank notebooks or notepads
- Scotch and packing tape
- Kid-safe and non-toxic art supplies such as crayons, washable markers, or finger paints
- Craft items such as construction paper, glue sticks, stickers, craft foam, felt, ribbons, string, PlayDoh, or glitter
- New tissue boxes, paper towels, and menstrual pads and tampons
- Cell phones and other electronic devices
Blankets for Project Linus
Moon Township Public Library is a drop-off site for Project Linus, a nonprofit which provides blankets for children in need. Recipients include multiple Western Pennsylvania hospitals and care shelters. Blankets and blanket-making supplies must meet certain safety and health requirements and are picked up about once a month.
- Baby: 36 inches X 36 inches
- Child: 40 inches X 60 inches
- Teen: 45 inches X 72 inches
- Most popular: 54 inches X 60 inches
- 100% cotton fabric
- Acrylic yarn
- Fleece (single layer only)
- Recommended: fun colors and creative designs
- Blankets must be washable and stored in smoke and mold-free areas
- No fringe, loose yarn ends, loose fibers, selvage, buttons, or any other choking hazards
- No blankets made from burlap, felt, rags, tapestry, vinyl, wool, or yarn made with wool or metallic threads
- No fabric paint. Only use markers
- Wash & dry blankets in fragrance & dye-free detergents, lint roll off any pet hair, and remove all pins before donating
Project Linus also accepts the following supplies:
- Card stock
- Full or partial yarn skeins
- Joann Fabrics gift cards
- Postage stamps
- Printer paper
- Quilt batting
- Sewing thread
- Washable fabrics made out of cotton, flannel, or fleece for quilting
Learn more about Project Linus by going to the Project Linus PGH website or Facebook page.
Eyeglasses for the Coraopolis-Moon Township Lions Club
Donate your used eyeglasses by dropping them off in the box in our lobby for the Lions Recycle for Sight program. Recycled glasses are distributed to people in need in low and middle income communities where they will have the greatest impact. Find out more about the Lions Club’s eyeglasses recycling program on their website.
American Flags for Boy Scout Troop 198
Boy Scout Troop 198 collects used or damaged American Flags to give them a proper retirement ceremony. Place your flag in the white and starred box in our lobby so it may be retired.
Aluminum Can Tabs for Ronald McDonald House
Pop off your aluminum can tabs and drop them off into the Ronald McDonald House box in our lobby. Tabs are sold to a local recycling company and the proceeds are sent to Ronald McDonald House Charities, which provides temporary housing to families in need. A local troop of the Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania collect our aluminum tabs every other month.
Honorariums & Memorials
If you have a loved one who passed away or a friend graduating college, we offer a way for you to honor their legacy and achievements. By donating at least $20 in a person’s name, you can add books, movies, or CDs to the library’s collection for other people to enjoy.
When you create an Honorarium or Memorial, you choose the subject matter you’d like to feature and our staff picks items to purchase in your honoree’s name. A donation plaque with the honoree’s and donor’s names is placed inside every purchased item before it is added to our collection.
Start your Honorarium application or your Memorial application now. Your application will not be considered complete until we receive a payment of at least $20 for the item purchase(s).
Buy from Moon
For Sale at the Library
New release books: $2
Hardcover books: $1
Paperback books: $1
Mass-market paperback books: $0.25 to $0.50
Children’s books: $0.50
Oversize/Coffee Table Books: $5
Vintage books: $10 and up (individually priced)
Movies & Audiobooks: $1
Tote bags: $8
Sarris candy bars: $1
Sarris chocolate pretzels: $2
Chips & cookies: $0.75
Book Bundles are tote bags filled with at least 5 books, CDs, games, or movies by a single author or on a particular theme. Past Book Bundles include big authors like James Patterson and Danielle Steele, nonfiction books about STEM or art history, themes like YA Favorites and Historical Romances, and bundles like Disney Princesses and Eric Carle for kids. Occasionally you can Build a Bundle by selecting 5 books on the designated table.
Book Bundles are sold in our library, bag and all, for $10 each.
If you’re in our library and can’t find the perfect bundle for you, ask one of our circulation clerks for help selecting or customizing your own bundle.
Spring Book Sale
Every spring, Moon Township Public Library holds a sale in our Sky Room over a three-day weekend. Items for sale include books, movies, music, audiobooks, art and crafts.
Friends of the Library Book Sale
The Friends of the Library hold a used book sale for one week every September for discounted prices. Find out about the 2017 book sale on our blog.
Give to Moon
Did you know you can give cash to the library just for regular Amazon purchases? Go to smile.amazon.com and set Moon Township Public Library as your chosen charity. As long as you buy through smile.amazon.com, Amazon will match a portion of your purchases and donate it to our library.