Battle of the Books is coming! On Tuesday, February 26, 2019, teams will compete to show off their literary trivia expertise. Here are the rules for students participating in the High School Battle of the Books.
- Form a team of 1-5 students in grades 9-12. Pick up a team application form in our library or print one out at home.
- Can’t find a team? Contact our Public Services Librarian Ms. Heather or Sewickley Public Library’s Teen Librarian Ms. Emily and they will help you find a team.
- Get an adult to act as your Team Manager. Team Managers help teammates prepare for Battle. A teacher, relative, or school librarian can be a Team Manager. Whoever they are, they must be present during the Battle of the Books competition.
- Give your completed application to the Teen Department or email it directly to Ms. Heather or Ms. Emily. Completed registration applications are due by February 11 at 8 PM.
- Assign the books to each teammate however you like, as long as everybody reads at least two books. See all the books by clicking here.
- Read and study the books. You can buy copies online, at bookstores, or borrow copies from the school or public library. Find out which books are available in our catalog by clicking here.
- Hint: If you spell the last name of the author correctly, you will earn an extra point during Battle!
- Books can only be borrowed on a library card belonging to a team member. Team Managers are not allowed to check out books for their team.
- Each teammate can only borrow 3 books at a time. Overdue Battle Books accrue fines of $0.25 per day.
- Battle! Arrive at Quaker Valley Middle School’s auditorium at least 15 minutes before it starts at 6:30 PM.
- Once the Battle of the Books starts, your Team Manager will leave to act as a Scorekeeper for another team.
- The Battle Moderator will ask one question about each book every round. There will be three total rounds.
The Battle Moderator will say each question twice. After the second time, teams will have 20 seconds to write down their answers. Answers will be specific.
- Once 5 different questions are asked, the Battle Moderator will provide the answers for them. Correct answers are worth 4 points, plus 1 bonus point if you correctly spell the author’s last name. Any answer challenges will be evaluated by the librarians and their decisions are final.
- Scorecards will be collected at the end of each round. Scores are tallied at the end of the third round.
- If there is a tie, Battle will enter into a Lightning Round.
- The top 3 teams will win prizes!