Today is the first day of the open enrollment period for buying health insurance through the Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Marketplace. You have from today until December 15 to apply for a healthcare plan for 2018. The marketplace website has planned maintenance on Sundays from 12 PM to 12 AM, so it’s best to work on your application Monday through Saturday.
Here are the quick tips for getting health insurance through the ACA marketplace.
- You should apply for health insurance if you do not get any from your employer, Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP. You can also apply for Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP through the ACA website.
- ACA health insurance plans cover pre-existing conditions, preventative services, and essential health benefits like doctor’s appointments and hospital visits.
- Health insurance plans vary based on your needs and your income. You may qualify for a tax credit or government-covered health insurance.
- If you are unable to finish your application, change your marital or familial status, change your address, or lose your health insurance by December 15, you may apply for a Special Enrollment Period.
- You can preview health care plans by filling out this online form.
- You can get help with your application by locating certified healthcare marketplace navigators, reading their FAQ, or calling their helpline at 1-800-318-2596.
Get covered and get healthy!