Unattended Children Policy:
(Adopted February 20, 2007)
Moon Township Public Library is dedicated to providing a welcoming and safe environment for all ages. However, as a facility open to the public, anyone may enter and use the facilities. Moon Township Public Library has adopted the following unattended children policy:
- Parents or legal guardians, not library staff, are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children (under the age of 18) while using Moon Township Public Library, regardless of whether they are accompanying their children or not.
- The library staff is not responsible for any unattended minor child(ren).
- The library staff is not responsible for preventing a child(ren) from leaving the building.
- Children attending Library programs are, for the duration of the program only, considered to be supervised by library staff and thus are not unattended.
- The accompanying adult is responsible for children up to age 10 while in the library and may not leave the child(ren) unattended in the library.
- Children over the age of 10 should not be left unaccompanied in the library for prolonged periods of time or on a repetitive daily or weekly basis.
- The library staff will deal with a child(ren) left at closing by calling the police if the parent or legal guardian cannot be contacted. Two staff members will remain with the child until the police arrive. This includes children below the age of thirteen (13) or those who are older but appear to need staff help. Under no circumstance will a staff member take a child off of library premises.